The Syrinx is hiring AN ATHLETICS EDITOR FOR SPRING 2018!
As a Syrinx editor, you receive a Pacific Publication Award or Pacific Multimedia Award scholarship and earn Journalism Practicum units. As part of an award-winning student newspaper, you will join a dynamic and supportive team of your peers. You will gain invaluable leadership experience and develop a number of professional and practical skills that translate to many careers.
To apply, visit thesyrinx.com/application. The deadline to apply is Monday, November 27. Send your questions and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATHLETICS EDITOR JOB DESCRIPTION
As Athletics Editor, you inform and inspire the FPU community with the stories and events of the athletic department. You facilitate relationships with current ADs, ATSs, coaches and media representatives, as well as facilitate relationships with athletes for athlete profiles, athletic event information, features and team previews.
- Developing content in the Athletics section for 7-8 issues of The Syrinx per academic year
- Pitching strong, clear, compelling story ideas in Monday meetings.
- Laying out your section in InDesign.
- Maintaining relationships and contacts across campus with diverse sets of students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Adhering to high standards of professionalism, ethics, and tact.
- Staying informed on FPU athletics as well as sports issues and sports culture at large.
- Maintaining AP style and standards.
- Meeting deadlines.
- Developing and mentoring new writers.
- Communicating clearly and regularly with the EIC, managing editor, social media editor, other section editors, writers, graphic artists, and photographers.
- Regularly attending Monday and Friday meetings, or making the necessary arrangements when conflicts arise.
- Writing 1-2 editorials per year.